clicked
Spence on Fundora Fight Falling Off: 'I’ll Be Back When I'm Ready"
NEWS
Manouk Akopyan
Manouk Akopyan
RingMagazine.com
Spence on Fundora Fight Falling Off: 'I’ll Be Back When I'm Ready"
Errol Spence Jr. has made it clear that he’ll be marching to the beat of his own drum.

On Thursday, a months-long planned fight for March 29 between unified junior middleweight titleholder Sebastian Fundora and former welterweight three-belt holder Errol Spence Jr. finally fell apart.

Fundora is now seeking a new challenger for his first title defense since fending off Tim Tszyu in a bloodbath last March.

The inactive Spence, meanwhile, clarified how he’ll be going about his career moving forward, offering a post on X that alluded to the fact that he was not open to fighting in eight weeks.

“I'll be back when I'm ready,” said Spence.

Earlier in the week, Spence fired off a series of posts on social media that offered a glimpse into his mindset and preparation for a potential return.

“Im trying to give y’all the best me,” Spence wrote, adding a clock emoji.

“Boxing so f***** up.”

“I really could be training, taking PEDs, juiced up for two years, taper off and kill someone. It’s nothing in place to protect these boxers. Especially if you're not an elite fighter. They don’t give a f*** about you.”

Spence (28-1, 22 KOs), who’ll turn 35 in March, has not fought since July 2023 when he suffered a brutal knockout loss to Terence Crawford for the undisputed welterweight title.

The Texan has also never fought at 154 pounds.

Further complicating matters between a potential clash against Fundora (21-1-1, 13 KOs) – The Ring’s No. 4 ranked junior middleweight and WBC and WBO champion – was that the WBO never intended to sanction the fight ever since it was first floated.

“The WBO would not sanction Fundora/Spence due to the latter being (1) inactive for 1 year & 5 months; (2) a TKO loss in last bout; (3) not rated in 154 lbs., & 4) has never fought in 154 lbs.,” said WBO president Gustavo Olivieri. “Ruling otherwise would be a disservice to the rest of the 154 world-rated contenders.”

Manouk Akopyan is a lead writer for The Ring. Follow him on X and Instagram.

Comments

0/500
logo
Step into the ring of exclusivity! Experience the thrill of boxing with our inside scoop on matches around the world.
logo
Download Our App
logologo
Heavyweight Sponsors
sponser
sponser
sponser
sponser
sponser
sponser
sponser
sponser
Middleweight Sponsors
sponser
sponser
sponser
sponser
Lightweight Sponsors
sponser
Partners
sponser
sponser
sponser
sponser
Promoters
sponser
sponser
sponser
sponser
sponser
sponser
Social media Channels
logologologologologologologologologologo
© RingMagazine.com, LLC. 2025 All Rights Reserved.