Frank Warren has described staging Daniel Dubois against Dereck Chisora at Wembley Stadium as a ‘no brainer’.
British boxing stalwart Chisora, now 41, has been installed by the IBF as the mandatory challenger for the world heavyweight title currently held by his compatriot Dubois.
The mandatory bout is due to be officially ordered on April 22 and, during an interview with Ring Magazine, Chisora revealed he is planning to face Dubois this summer in what will be his 50th and final fight - and he has already planned his ringwalk for the occasion.
However, talks are also progressing to arrange a rematch between Dubois and Ring Magazine, WBO, WBC and WBA champion Oleksandr Usyk in an undisputed clash for all the belts in July.
But Warren, who is Dubois’ long-term promoter and the man who staged Chisora’s excellent win over Otto Wallin last year, says any fight between the two Londoners would be fit for the national stadium.
“On the strength of Daniel’s win against Anthony Joshua and the reaction we’ve had from it, I think him against Chisora would do Wembley,” Warren told The Ring.
“And I think the fact that, if it happens with Dereck, and it’s his 50th fight, I think it’s a no-brainer. Look at Dereck’s last fight here, the crowd really got behind him.”
However, Warren stopped short of confirming that the plan is for Dubois to fulfill those mandatory obligations in his next fight.
The 27-year-old is now 22-2 (21) and was last seen knocking out Anthony Joshua in the fifth round of their Wembley Stadium classic on September 21. He was supposed to fight Joseph Parker in Riyadh on February 22 but withdrew during fight week through illness.
On the chances of Dubois-Chisora, Warren added: “They’ve ordered it but it’s now about when it gets made. They’ve made him the mandatory challenger but it doesn’t mean the fight has to happen immediately. We will see.
“There are lots of things happening in the heavyweight division, in the top echelons, and that will all be revealed I hope fairly soon. You’ll see some really good fights and you’ll see guys who are going to be in great positions, either mandatory challengers or interim champions, who will be fighting the winners of those fights.”